When it comes to Potomac raccoon removal, you can trust Mid-Atlantic Wildlife Control to get the job done right! We specialize in removal of nuisance wildlife from homes and properties in and around Potomac, MD. You can call us with any wildlife invasion emergencies!
Why Raccoons Are Dangerous
If people keep raccoons as pets, what can be so bad about a few of them running around in your yard or living in your attic? Well, keep in mind that raccoons as pets are domesticated, probably vaccinated and definitely not in need of food that the owner generously provides. On the other end, we have wild raccoons that are surviving outside and are motivated solely by their instincts.
The types of damage raccoons frequently cause include:
Holes in the Roof
Why sleep in a tree when there is a perfectly dry and warm attic? Raccoons have a neck for exploiting weaknesses in wooden structures, finding rotten wood, ripping open soffits and dismounting vents. Besides the fact that you have a raccoon in your house, this destructive behavior may also mean leaky roof and wind damage.
Trash Can Vandalism
Your trash is their dinner. Raccoons have a good sense of smell, which, combined with strong paws, means that your trash cans don’t stand a chance. The only way to stop them is to purchase cans with lids that lock. However, raccoons are also known to go after grills and vandalize porches if they sniff out pet food.
Parasites and Diseases
Roof can be fixed and trashcans can be replaced, but the damage to your health from raccoons can be dangerous and even permanent. First of all, many raccoons in Maryland carry rabies and may infect people and pets. Although transmission of rabies from raccoons to humans is not very common, you still don’t want to cross path with a rabid animal.
Second of all, over 90% of raccoons are infected with raccoon roundworm—a dangerous parasite that doesn’t harm raccoons but can leave people disabled. This parasite’s eggs are shed with raccoon poop and can be picked up and carried inside the house by pets, on our shoes or by inquisitive toddlers. Below is a video describing a roundworm case that happened several years ago and left a toddler with permanent blindness and brain damage.