Handling a Snake Bite in Rockville

With so many parks and wooded areas to enjoy in the Rockville area, you are sure to come across a snake or two during your travels. Among the 27 species of snakes that can be found in the state of Maryland, 2 of them are extremely poisonous. Of the two, only one venomous species can be found in Rockville, the Northern Copperhead. There is also a chance that one of these snakes, including the Copperhead, can find their way into your home. If an individual finds a snake in their basement or bathroom, their first instinct may be to remove the snake from their home themselves, which could result in a snake bite. If the snake happens to be a Northern Copperhead, medical attention should be sought out immediately. Here are some other tips on how to handle a venomous snake bite:

  • Remain calm, an increase in heart rate will pump the venom through your bloodstream quicker.
  • Stay quiet as well to prevent the venom from spreading. Try not to move the leg or arm that was struck by the snake.
  • Keep the bite below your heart level to prevent the spread of the venom.
  • Remove any jewelery you may be wearing to prevent complications should you begin to swell.
  • Do not consume alcohol or water after being bitten.
  • Do not apply ice to the wound or attempt to flush the wound with water. There should be no attempts to remove the venom from the wound.

If you find a snake in your Rockville home, avoid a snake bite and call the professionals at Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control. Our technicians are trained to locate and remove all 27 species of snakes in the state of Maryland without putting themselves or the snake in harms way. Call Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control at 443-417-3137or visit our contact page. You can also find us on Google+, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook.


*The writer of this article is not a medical professional. Information contained herein has been collected from sources believed to be reliable, and every precaution has been taken to ensure its accuracy. The information provided here is for general informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical care.