For the past couple of weeks, heavy rains and storms have decided to come through the Gambrills area. With the poor weather, plenty of wildlife may be trying to find shelter in your Gambrills home. One critter that may show up in your attic or basement is the bat. There are 10 different species of bats living in Maryland and chances are you may come across one in your home or on your property in Gambrills. While bats may seem small and harmless, they can actually cause damage to your home and pose health problems for you and your family. Bat removal in Gambrills is important for the following reasons:
- House Damage- Bats can damage the structure of your home along with the siding of your home and your indoor living space. Bats can create holes while attempting to enter a home. They can also stain and damage the siding of your home with constant bat guano. Bat guano can also be found in areas of your home that isn’t visible to you. This could occur in crawl spaces and inside walls.
- Health Damage- Bats are known to have connections with certain diseases and insects that can pose a significant threat the health of you, your family, and even your pets.
- Rabies- Bats are known carriers of rabies, a virus that attacks the central nervous system. While other larger mammals like dogs and raccoons display obvious signs of having rabies, there is no real way to tell just by looking at a bat. The only way to know for sure is through testing. This is dangerous because there is the risk of being bitten at night while you sleep if a bat is loose in your home.
- Histoplasmosis- A lung disease caused by a fungus, histoplasmosis can occur in soil that has been tainted with bat feces. If your children enjoy playing outdoors or you have pets that spend time outside, they are at a higher risk.
- Bed Bugs- Bats serve as a host for bed bugs and cause an infestation if they get inside your home. Bed bugs will then use humans as a host and can live for long periods of time without a host, making them hard to get rid of.
- Bat Bugs- Similar to bed bugs, bat bugs use bats as a host. However, bat bugs cannot live as long as bed bugs when a host isn’t present.
If bats are a problem for your Gambrills home, call the professionals at Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control. Our technicians use the most humane methods to evict bats from your home while preventing new bats from entering. Give us a call at 443-417-3137 You can also visit our online contact page. Follow Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control today on Google+, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook.