Edgewater is a quaint community located within Anne Arundel County of Maryland. With areas near water and woods, wildlife is sure to be around for residents to admire from a distance. There are times, however, when the wildlife decides to have a closer look at your Edgewater property. When wildlife decides to enter your yard or home, they can bring with them diseases and parasites that can be harmful to you and your family. When you notice wildlife near your home, it’s helpful to be aware of the threat they pose to your family.
Diseases and Parasites
- Rabies- Probably the most commonly known threat posed to humans by wildlife, rabies can be carried by most mammals. This includes raccoons, skunks, foxes, squirrels, bats, and opossums. Rabies will attack the central nervous system of a human, which can then lead to brain disease, and even death.
- Tapeworm- This parasite can be carried in the feces of foxes. Most humans fail to realize they have been infected by tapeworm; however it does have the potential to cause seizures in humans.
- Raccoon Roundworm- Carried by raccoons, this parasite can be found in their feces and cause serious problems for humans. While it is uncommon for humans to become infected by roundworm, the parasite can potentially invade the organs, brain, and eyes of a human.
- Salmonella- Carried by snakes and in the feces of rodents and squirrels, this disease is known to have caused at least 450 deaths in the United States alone. Symptoms normally last for up to seven days and include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps.
- Leptospirosis- Commonly caused by skunks, this disease can be mistaken for other diseases while also leading to meningitis, liver failure, and kidney damage.
- Histoplasmosis- Mainly carried by the feces of bats, this disease tends to cause fatigue, coughing, and fever in infected humans.
Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control
In order to combat diseases and parasites carried by wildlife in Edgewater, call the professionals at Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control. Our professionals are trained to humanely remove any animal found on your property while also specializing in sanitization for your home. Never take matters into your own hands when dealing with wildlife, you could potentially put yourself and the animal in a hazardous situation. To get started with us, call us today at 443-417-3137 or visit our online contact page. We are available, so never hesitate to call. Follow Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control today on Google+, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook. Source: http://www.cdc.gov/az
Mice and rats are a common problem throughout the state of Maryland, and Jessup is no different. If there is a dry place for the rodent to sleep and plenty of food for the rodent to eat, then rodents will remain present in the area. Sometimes, especially during the colder months and after heavy rains, rodents will find their way into your Jessup home. While some may think that the rodents are harmless, they would be incorrect. Rats and mice can carry a number of harmful diseases, and the risk can remain even after the rodent has been caught.
Rodents and Disease
Diseases carried and caused by rodents in the Jessup area include:
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome- Caused by either direct contact or the breathing in of contaminated urine or feces left by the rodents, HPS will affect the respiratory system of an infected human.
- Leptospirosis- Infection can occur after a human consumes food or water that has been contaminated by urine or feces from the rodent. Infection can also occur if contaminated soil or water comes in direct contact with a human’s mucus membrane or skin. The disease has a number of symptoms that can very often mimic those of other diseases and infections. The disease can lead to a number of complications including kidney and liver damage and failure.
- Rat-Bite Fever- Infection can occur after contact with a dead rodent, a bite or scratch from a rodent, or breathing in contaminates from a rodent. Symptoms include pain in muscles and joints as well as vomiting and a noticeable rash.
- Salmonellosis- A form of Salmonella, infection occurs after contaminated food and water are consumed. The individual will then experience severe cramps in their abdomen and severe diarrhea.
Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control
If you believe your Jessup home is infested with rodents, call a specialist at Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control. Our technicians are trained to identify the source of your rodent problem as well as assist you in the exclusion of the rodents and the prevention of further infestations. To get started with Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control, call us today at 443-417-3137. We are available, so never hesitate to call. You can also visit our contact page. Find us on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest today. Source: http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/diseases/direct.html *The writer of this article is not a medical professional. Information contained herein has been collected from sources believed to be reliable, and every precaution has been taken to ensure its accuracy. The information provided here is for general informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical care.