Bowie is a suburban area within Prince George’s County near the metropolitan area of Washington DC. On your commute between the two areas, residents may come in contact with some wildlife along the way. While wildlife is enjoyable among a suburban area, it can be hard to identify different species. If you come across a specific species of snake, bird, or bug on more than one occasion, chances are that species is commonly found in your area. It is helpful to know which species are common to your area, especially when dealing with snakes. Out of the 27 different species of snake that can be found throughout the state of Maryland, only 2 are poisonous, with one of the two species being found in the Bowie area.
Some of the most commonly found snakes in the Bowie area include:
- Northern Copperhead- This tan to brown snake is one of the two venomous snakes found in the state of Maryland. The Copperhead can be confused with other species of snake that are not as dangerous, so caution is always advised.
- Northern Water snake- Not to be confused with the poisonous water moccasin or cottonmouth, the Northern Water snake is harmless and can be gray to brown in color.
- Northern Brown Snake- This tiny snake can grow up to 15 inches in length with brown spots running down its back.
- Ring-Necked Snake- This snake can grow up to 20 inches in length with a yellow to orange ring around its small neck along with a yellow to orange belly.
- Worm Snake- Pink to brown in color, this small shiny snake can be mistaken for a large worm.
- Red Bellied Snake- This small gray to black snake can be recognized by it’s red stomach.
- Black Rat Snake- This useful snake can grow to be 80 inches long with a white checkered pattern trailing down its black back.
- Garter Snake- This green to brown snake has checkered spots going down its back and grow up to 48 inches long.
If you ever spot a snake on your Bowie property, call the professionals at Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control. Our technicians are able to identify the species of snake within your home as well as remove the snake from your home in a way that is humane and effective. Our professionals are also able to recognize where the snake was able to enter your home while using methods and techniques to prevent future snakes from entering your home. Call Mid Atlantic Wildlife Control today at 443-417-3137 or visit our contact page. if you are in need of our snake removal services. Follow us today on Google+, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook.